Sunday, September 6, 2009

Endless Blue Days


Oh my goodness...
Finding free internet is a hard to thing to do, but none the less I Carley Randall Brooks, have done just that. I believe I am catching the signal from a run-down soup kitchen looking cafeteria in Spain! Anyways, I have been dying to update people on the way things happen here. Everything is so interesting. I am actually in Cadiz, Spain and have spent the last two days walking around, but that blog will have to wait because I have to tell you all about the ship. Many of you I have e-mailed and try to tell, by the way thank you for your e-mails it really is so wonderful to hear from you all, you have no idea! The ship is beautiful, apparently it used to be an old cruise ship, my bathroom is literally nicer than the bathroom I used in Meredith Hall at Western. The room is cozy, I have pictures and if the internet pulls through for me I might just get to share them with you.

The first eight days have been so crazy. Everyone spends their time trying to get to know each other. Literally I eat every meal with a different person or group, sit by a different in class, talk to a different person at night. It is crazy. The water was insane, everyday it was a different color, navy blue, somedays brighter and at night, the ocean is unbelievable. Living on water is very funny. For the first three days everyone had to get acquainted with the rocking, which was hilarious for me, some of those with a lesser sense of humor did not find it so funny, but I laughed out loud. People were jolted all over. The rocking is severe enough that people were thrown into walls, so funny. Or the more awkward thrown into the laps of their fellow students, which makes getting to know people either really easy or really awful depending on the person in whose lap you fell. My first day on the elliptical I became insanely sea sick after because along with your normal running motion the elliptical rocks back and forth with the ship, kind of like using an elliptical on a giant see-saw. The treadmills face the opposite direction though and move side to side, every once in a while you hear someone yell and you see a body come flying off the machine behind you. All very entertaining, but now such is life! I have met some really fun people, everyone is eccentric and quirky, from so many places which lends itself to an incredibly collective mix of personalities and habits. Alot of times i find myself just wandering around hoping to happen upon a new best friend or intriguing conversation. Everything is so sporadic. You make friends by walking up to people and introducing yourself. It's very throw yourself in or you won't come out alive. Thank goodness I'm an extrovert or this experience would be a very isolated one. It is a group of bold personalities, overwhelming opinions with the common desire to travel and see the world. Makes for an interesting time! It's hard to believe it is only beginning, but I cannot wait for the coming months to unfold.

I'm sorry this post is so long, but I miss you all! Oh yes one more thing, I have met with two bible study groups. So encouraging to find believers in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. I am so thankful for all the encouragement and prayers, the Lord has definitely put in a place with Him I have never been and it is becoming a very beautiful thing. I love you all dearly and think of you often wishing you could share in this crazy adventure, but I am so thrilled about this season for everybody! ok Love Love Love

Carley

1 comment:

  1. great post.. and i loved how long it was because i have nothing else to do in my sorry life on land!

    ReplyDelete