Saturday, September 26, 2009

Entering the Other Half...

Today, my friends, is Neptune Day. Something unfamiliar to many of you, but for Semester at Sea students it is a rite of passage. I was woken up by the sound of drums and cymbals being pounded through the halls, this made everyone really excited, no one was upset at all! At nine we were told to be on the seventh deck by the pool for the entrance of King Neptune and his royal court. Ok, honestly everything was hokey. I mean the whole thing was goofy, but it was absolutely hilarious. The Captain, named Capt. Jeremy was dressed as King Neptune. Now let me tell you about Capt. Jeremy, he is a very serious man. Takes being captain of the ship and has a very intense British accent. He is not one to be messed with, but today the man was dressed in a pair of briefs only clothed in a grass-hula skirt and covered from head to toe in lime green body paint. The other adults on ship, faculty, life long learners and staff were dressed as his royal court.

They consider this whole thing the ceremony for passing the equator and entering the Southern Hemisphere. I then stood in a line with everyone to have a crewmember pour pink “fish guts” on over my head and then jump in the pool. The entire student body was covered in slime and ended up bathing in the pool. We then proceeded through the line to kiss a dead fish and be knighted by the Academic Dean.

All fun for everyone! Now, another key element of Neptune Day is that many people shave their heads. They placed three chairs in a row and people sit and everyone can watch. This is not just limited to guys mind you. I believe by about 11:00 in the morning, at least 15 girls had gotten their heads shaved. Something I think they will all regret tomorrow when they realize they are bald. I did not participate in the shaving head due to the fact I, and my mother for that matter, have an abnormal attachment to my hair and would spend the rest of the trip in tears or wearing headscarves. I have pictures and honestly it will help to see them to understand today’s activities, but it was goofy and fun and now I am officially in the Southern Hemisphere!

I have blogged now almost three days in a row that should be exciting for you all! Ok, well again I love you all and miss you!


Carley

No comments:

Post a Comment